Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Broaden THE Horizon

Today, my Criminal Procedure class concluded at 11:45 a.m.  Take away from the class = never give police consent to search your house/car.  Under the 4th Amendment of the Constitution, you are entitled to privacy, which the police cannot violate.  If a cop comes to your door and asks you to enter, you have the RIGHT to say no.  If he pulls you over and asks to search your vehicle, you have the RIGHT to deny his request to search your car.  This is a fundamental right I think Americans overlook.  Thus, this is why I have provided this little insight to you.  It is not advice (this is my disclaimer).  Rather, I'm merely informing you of what the Constitution says.  But this is not the point of my post this evening.

What I'd really like to discuss stems from what happened after I left Criminal Procedure today.  You see, I left his morning in a rush and did not take lunch.  Lately, I've been purchasing lunch for around $5 a day.  Anything from a sub to a chicken sandwich from Outtakes (the convenience store at Florida Coastal).  Today though, I refused to spend anymore money.  I was in search for a "free" lunch.  Luckily, as i spoke with the girl I sit next to in class, she informed me of the presentation at noon.  The presentation was an  etiquette seminar titled, "Working a Room."  The premise was how to effectively conduct yourself in a meet'n'greet situation with potential employers.  A lot of what was covered dealt with posture, presentation, and dress.  But what was really interesting was how to have the effective mindset when you're at these events.

So many times, I've found myself in the past overly anxious in these type of scenarios.  In fact, maybe even a little different.  What I discovered was I was approaching the situation all wrong.  For me, I made the event too much about myself; second guessing the way I look, what I say, etc.  But what I learned today was that you have to approach it with the mindset that it is not about you...it's about the people you meet.  It's about what you can learn from other people.  The alteration in perspective can be monumental.

So, point to the post:

Change your perspective of how you approach potentially awkward situations from yourself, to those you have the pleasure of meeting.  You might just shake those nerves and really enjoy yourself.  And, you might even make a lasting impression you hadn't intended to make!

Peace, Love, and Change Your Perspective!

John

No comments:

Post a Comment